1985 Metro beat Avon Sports 

BRITISH BLIND SPORT National Knockout Cup Final 1985
By Keith Wells & Bernard King
Article taken from “Participation” magazine Autumn 1985

Avon Sports v Metro
Barclays Bank Ground, 20th July 1985

Keith Wells, 1985 Metro Captain:
“This was billed as the friendly final with Mike Butler, the Avon Captain, being one of the founder members of Metro.

I won the toss and for the first time in this season’s campaign, inserted the opposition. Avon must have been pleased with a start of 40 runs for 1 wicket from 10 overs, but on the other hand, so was I. I felt we had contained them well with all my main bowlers still to come. To my obvious delight, this proved the case as with the help of three run-outs, we had Avon all out for 66.

We, Metro, were all reasonably confident at getting this target but Avon fought back magnificently to have us at 9 runs for 3 wickets. My nerves were now on edge and the match alive again. We went into tea at 17 runs for 3 wickets with Robbie Bryden and Peter Longuet at the crease and these two continued after the break to take us to 51 before the latter was bowled. A marvellous stand which had put us back in the driving seat. Robbie Bryden, partial man of the match, fittingly hit the winning runs and we were home by 6 wickets.”

Man of the Match awards of engraved tankards went to:
Partially sighted player Robbie Bryden of Metro.
Totally blind player Malcolm Chapple of Avon.

Bernard King, Chairman BRITISH BLIND SPORT Cricket Sub-committee:
The Taverners Trophy and other awards were presented by Frank McFarlane, Chairman of BRITISH BLIND SPORT, who took time away from a wedding (not his) to be with us. On behalf of the Cricket Sub-committee may I say thank you firstly to the clubs and all their players who took part in this year’s knock-out. The final was played on a very friendly basis and the day was very successful. Thank you also to the Umpires and the Scorer, also to the other members of the committee and the sponsors BRITISH BLIND SPORT.